About Jim Hoggatt
Jim brings more than 30 years of diverse financial and operational experience; from large public companies to closely-held small and medium size entities where he served as CFO, CEO, Vice-President or consultant.
His background includes:
- Audit Manager with PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC), one of the Big Four public accounting firms. In his seven years as an auditor, he specialized in construction, real estate, engineering, mining, high tech manufacturing, and small business services.
- VP and CFO for Apollo Group (parent company of the University of Phoenix, WIU and IPD, an educational consulting subsidiary). In his 12 years at Apollo, Jim was a key part of the executive team which grew the company from 10 locations to over 55 locations. Jim led the team that took Apollo public through a highly successful IPO in 1994, and raised addition capital through subsequent secondary offerings.
- Owner and CEO of a real estate development and construction company from 1998-2005, and owner and CEO of a small publishing/internet commerce company from 2004-2011.
- Interim CFO and CFO, VP-Finance and Information Technologies for two medium size organizations from 2012-2013.
During 2013, Jim served as the CFO, VP-Finance and IT for an organization that is headquartered in Phoenix, and has six regional offices throughout Arizona. During that year, he negotiated the refinancing of the company’s $2.5 million tax-free bond, secured an additional $2 million in lease line commitments in addition to the Company’s line of credit, successfully implemented a document management system for the corporate accounts payable department, and successfully implemented an organization-wide cloud-based expense and mileage reimbursement system. Under Jim’s leadership, significant improvements were made to the accuracy and timeliness of interim and year-end financial reports, substantial collections were made on long past-due accounts receivable, and the annual audit was completed in record time with no audit exceptions. Significant improvements were also made in the areas of risk management, training, forecasting, cash flow management and budgeting.
Small Business Credentials
In recent years, Jim has worked for small and medium size entities to help them improve cash flow and operating income, restructure their operations, and re-engineer key processes. Jim has helped these organizations refinance long-term debt, establish leasing and business lines of credit, implement process improvements, implement new operational and accounting software, improve timing and accuracy of month-end end and year-end closings, and to improve relationship with boards, audit committees, external auditors, bankers and other key stakeholders. Jim is highly experienced with accounting and internal controls in diverse and complex regulatory environments.
Jim has a passion for integrity, process improvement, customer service and teamwork. He has worked as the CFO for a publicly-held company that was, at the time, on Fortune’s List of the 100 Fastest Growing Companies. He has helped many small, medium and large companies as an audit manager for PwC. Jim also has worked in leadership roles in the startup, operations, marketing, product development and sales for two small Arizona-based businesses where he served as owner and CEO. Jim is a CPA in the State of Arizona, and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Jim’s experience with accounting software ranges from large ERP systems (e.g. Microsoft Dynamics GP and Oracle Financials) to small business software such as QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Online, Paychex Payroll and Intuit Payroll. Jim has expertise with Microsoft Office (e.g. Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Microsoft Share Point collaboration software, Microsoft Forecaster, Web Design, Ecommerce Software (e.g. Volusion, Amazon Webstore and FBA), Citrix Tools (e.g. GoToMeeting, Citrix Receiver), and Cisco WebEx.
Personal and Life Information
Jim has lived in the Phoenix area almost his entire life. Jim and his wife of more than 30 years, Sue, are active in their church and community. Jim has held positions of leadership at his church and served in the past as board member, Trustee and Treasurer for various not-for-profits. Their daughter, Lindsay, lives with her husband in Kansas City, MO where she gives voice lessons and performs in various operas and theatre performances. Lindsay has a music degree from Harding University and a Masters in Music in Vocal Performance from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Their son, Darren, lives here in Phoenix with his wife, Heidi, where he works as an accountant for a healthcare equipment manufacturer. Darren has an accounting degree from Harding University and an MBA from the University of Phoenix.
Phoenix Office: 480-447-2204
Kansas City Office: (816) 945-8337
- Abilene Christian University, Texas. BSBA in Accounting.
Certificates & Licenses:
- CPA, State of Arizona
- American Institute of Certified Public
- Accountants | The Financial Executives Networking Group (FENG)
Articles by Jim Hoggatt
- Managing Cash Flow Complexities – Part 5: Cash vs EBITDA
- Managing Cash Flow Complexities – Part 4: Transition Planning
- Managing Cash Flow Complexities – Part 3: Establishing Priorities
- Managing Cash Flow Complexities – Part 2: More than just Math
- Managing Cash Flow Complexities – Part 1: How Much Cash?
- Sam and the box of socks
- Closing the Barn Door…
- What in the World is T.E.E.M.M?
- Increasing the Value of Your Business
- New Revenue Recognition Accounting Standards Released on May 28, 2014
- Significant Penalties to be Imposed for Dumping Employees on to the Health Care Exchange
- Paying Attention in the Drive-Thru
- Using Data Privacy as a Competitive Advantage
- COSO | Internal Controls | It’s a Miracle!
- Peeling a Banana
- Health Insurance Tax Credit for Small Employers – Take a look in 2014
- Growth Returns to the Agenda, according to EY Study
- CEO’s “Good to Grow” According to Recent Survey